Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What it takes to write great femdom fiction

So I just posted a simple little CFNM/gynocracy story on this site called "Adjusting", and I thought aspiring writers might want to get a peek behind the curtain of what it takes to write something like that.

"Adjusting" clocks in at just under 6,000 words, making it a short story for me but a Lord-of-the-Rings length epic novel for most online e-book resellers.

So how long do you think I spent writing it? 


I hope it seemed simple and effortless, because that's what I was going for, but in reality, I've been working on different drafts of "Adjusting" for 3 months now:



That's TWELVE drafts from 6/25 to 9/26, or exactly 3 months.  Now, I wasn't working full time on the story, every day.  I definitely took big breaks.  But each of those drafts were full of big changes.

I had drafts where Brad didn't get stroked at all until the last third.   I had drafts where Elle made him cum, drafts where he made himself cum.  That tickling section I took out and put back in like three times.  (And I'm still not sure it doesn't bog down the flow of a simple story.)

But most of all, I wanted things to just FLOW.  Most of what I was polishing between each draft came down to making sure each sentence led effortlessly into the next for the reader.  So things just moved.

Compare "Adjusting" to a normal Literotica story that starts off with 5 paragraphs of "Peternia was an island that was made women-run in the Great Revolution of 2021 and here laid out are its entire social structure and political aims..."

Or a story that has recurring paragraphs of "Brad knew Elle didn't want him to cover his junk but he also knew he really loved showing his penis off to Brittany but he also knew that he was smaller than average but he also also knew that really turned him on..."

So I tried to get rid of flow-breaking exposition and do everything in the moment.  To make it feel like a visceral roller coaster, with tight turns and sudden drops.  That's what I think makes a great short story.  You guys will have to tell me if it worked.

 Where did the story idea come from?


A lot of erotic readers comment "You should do a story about a gynocracy!" or "A world where men are kept naked and horny ALL the time!"  And I totally, 100% appreciate the effort and intent of reader comments- they're half of what keep me writing!  But those aren't enough to start a story.

There's no tension, no frisson in that type of comment or story seed.  So why did I write "Adjusting"?  Simple:  It was Brittany's line:  "So?  How are you guys adjusting?  With all the changes?"

Imagining two smug women having a drink and casually laughing about one of them moving to an island where the other's mate suddenly can't wear any clothes was SUCH an image- I could just HEAR the giggle in Brittany's voice when she asked that- I had to write this story.

That was the seed, the genesis of the whole story, and everything, down to the tone of the piece and even the ending, followed from that.   After 3 months of work.


Does it follow my rules for femdom writing?


I made my 8 rules of Femdom Writing for a reason- mainly to give me a way to describe good femdom writing to others, but also to remind myself.

In "Adjusting", there are four main escalations to the action:

  1. Brad comes out naked and is exposed to Brittany for the first time
  2. Brad gets stroked by Elle
  3. Brad gets stroked by Brittany
  4. Brad is made to cum loudly and explosively
So with those four pillars in place, all I had to do was string "supporting text" between them and I had a story.  If you really want to become a better femdom writer, see if you can go back to the story and spot the difference between a pillar and a supporting cable in the text.  (Hint: the cables are all typically Brad's reactions to things or fallout from what just happened.)

This follows my Rule of Escalation.

Look at the end- Brittany HAS to end with the Promise of More.  If she had just said "Cool, we'll never do that again." that would have been such a let-down.  This is why the last rule exists. 

We don't feel things unless Brad feels them, Dialogue being Hard but Hot, etc etc, I think I did a pretty good job at following the rules this time.

Is this helping any?  I hope it's helping.  Anyway, I don't talk about this stuff to toot my own horn (toot-toot) but truly, to improve the level of femdom/erotic writing I come across out there.

Because if 10, 100, 1000 of you all start writing hot femdom/CFNM/SPH/denial/humiliation stories I can get lost in, I can finally retire!

Stay frosty my friends,
P.F. Dee

2 comments:

  1. Hello, just a quick note to say that I found your blog and your advice aaaaages ago, but after lots of drafting and work on various things, I've finally got myself published on Smashwords. Just a short story at the moment, but I have drafts and ideas all over the place.

    Just thought I should pass on my thanks :)

    LMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LM Williams- I can finally reply to comments on my blog again!

      Thanks for your words, and I'm glad I could help you in your author's journey! If you ever want feedback on anything you're writing, send it over to me at pfdee@comcast.net.

      Welcome to the author ranks- it only gets more fun from here!

      PFD

      Delete